Home > Analyses > Soviet Armies in Fronts
Soviet Armies in Fronts
Tuesday 23 February 2021, by
Following the previous operations of Barbarossa, lots of changes appeared in the Soviet organization, and quickly in October, some others will happen:
- The Reserve Front disappears in the Vyazma battle.
- The 51st Army (in Crimea), retreating, is attached to the Transcaucasian Front the 30/11/1941.
- The 56th Army, in Rostov-on-Don, joins the South Front in December 1941.
- These new Fronts are created:
- 17/10/1941: Kalinin Front
- 12/1941: Bryansk Front (II)
- 26/01/1942: Crimea Front
- 19/05/1942: North Caucasian Front
- 19/06/1942: Voronej Front
- 12/07/1942: Stalingrad Front
- 01/08/1942: South East Front
- 29/09/1942: Don Front
- 22/10/1942: Southwestern Front
- 01/01/1943: South Front
- 15/02/1943: Central Front
- 22/03/1943: Ural Front
- 06/04/1943: Reserve Front (if already removed)
- These Front are disbanded:
- 10/11/1941: Bryansk Front
- 12/07/1942: Southwestern Front
- 28/07/1942: South Front
I choose to simplify some of the Front creation and destruction:
- A Front must be removed from the game if its attached armies are removed from the map (destroyed, retired, or breakout)
- A Front may be removed if it has less than two attached armies
- The Bryansk Front, disbanded in November 1941 and recreated in December is kept alive between these dates.
- The Moscow Defence Zone (two Armies) is not taken into consideration.
- Even though the Separate Coastal Army (Maritime HQ) in Sebastopol is not attached to any Front between August and October 1941, I choose to attach it to the Southern Front.
- The renamings of Fronts in March and April 1943 are not taken into consideration.
For the October 1st, 1941 situation, I chose the following structure of Fronts and Armies:
- Should we have a maximum number of Armies attached to a Front? If yes, are the Armies without Front suffering in some way?
- Should the air units be equally distributed between Fronts (through the Air Armies attached to them)?
- Should the SP be equally distributed between Fronts (or between Front in specific postures with minimum and maximum)?
Do you have any idea. comment about this? Please let me know.